If you are planning a holiday for your family, the Costa del Sol is the place to go. The area offers so many great attractions and adventures for the whole family. You´ll never be bored! Here is Travelling Babee´s list of the top family activities to keep you busy this summer.
Fuengirola is a great place to take the kids. There’s always something going on and it’s an ideal destination for those looking to try a variety of water activities! 8km of beaches make this the best destination to play in the water.
- Costa Water Park – Inflatable obstacle course floating on the surface of the Mediterranean Sea. Lots of fun guaranteed for adults and children alike!
- Fuengirola to Benalmadena Boat Trip – This pleasant trip takes about one hour each way and will allow you enjoy spectacular views of the whole coast line. Camera in hand, you’ll grab some fabulous shots of local landmarks and attractions. You will also be able to appreciate the true scale of the Sierra de Mijas mountains, which rise majestically behind the coast. The boat has a glass bottom so if you are lucky you might see some dolphins!
- BioParc Fuengirola – If you need a change from the beach, try the BioParc. Not just a zoo but a breeding centre for endangered animals. Here you can get close to a family of lemurs, see a 100-year-old tortoise as well as gorillas, tigers and crocodiles. Great fun for all of the family.
- Mini Train City Tour – You can enjoy the town at your leisure and the train goes to all the main sites – perfect for the kids!
Most visitors choose Benalmadena for its glorious beaches, but there are plenty of other attractions to keep your family amused. The marina has won awards (it is several times winner of the ‘Best Marina in the World’ award). Most of the beaches are packed with cafes, bars and restaurants. Some even have children’s playgrounds. Benalmadena really packs in the family attractions.
- Butterfly Park – This Thai-themed butterfly park, will instantly transport you to the humid jungles of South-East Asia. Packed with tropical plants, waterfalls, exotic animals and 1,500 beautiful butterflies.
- Paloma Park – is an ideal spot for picnics and lakeside walks. This green oasis has become somewhat of an animal sanctuary and is now home to rabbits, peacocks, goats, emus, donkeys and other little animals. Some of these animals walk around freely and are very popular with children!
- Tivoli World – This amusement park is surrounded by beautiful fountains and gardens, where you’ll enjoy classical rides. Each family member will experience their own adventure – a fantastic day out in a unique place!
- Sea Life – Enjoy a close encounter with the deep at this sea life centre in Benalmadena Marina. Fascinating and educational, the centre allows you to get up close and personal to a host of different aquatic species including sharks and spectacular tropical fish. There’s a full programme of feeding demonstrations, talks and special presentations and you can even feed and touch the friendly rays.
- Cable Car – a 15-minute ride takes you up to the summit of Mount Calamorro. At 771m above sea level, you will be able to see the African shoreline and Benalmadena. This is the best way to see the Costa del Sol.
An attractive resort recognised for its clean sandy beaches (they´ve been awarded a Blue Flag), wide choice of hotels and restaurants and unparalleled variety of entertainment, activities and nightlife available. The beach is the big star in Torremolinos – all 9km worth. The main stretch is called Playa La Carihuela, right in front of the town centre, and it’s fully stocked with beach bars, sunbeds and jet-skis for hire. Montemar Beach, 10 minutes’ walk away and has grassy areas for a change from the sand.
- El Ranchito Equestrian Centre – gives kids the chance to watch dressage, elegantly performed by some of Andalusia’s most talented riders, are incredible… they will definitely keep little ones enthralled.
- Crocodile Park – more than 300 crocodiles of different species!
- Parque La Bateria – This historical park offers more than 74,000 square metres of grass, trees and a huge artificial lake. There are also bike paths, running circuits, children’s play areas, rowboat hire and a tower which offers beautiful views across the coast. In other words, you can spend all day here and still have more to do.
- Waterpark Aqualand – This is the largest waterpark on the Costa del Sol. There’s something for everyone here, with crazy rides like the “Grand Canyon”, “Black Hole” and “Twister” and the more relaxing Jacuzzi Tropical Lagoon and Niagara Lake. The 3,000 square metre pool will keep the kids amused while parents get the chance to soak up the sun and work on that tan! Aquapark has two sections especially for babies and toddlers so your whole family should be able to have a great day out.
In the district of Torremolinos, here there are lots of activities for kiddies, and the nearby village is completely pedestrianised making it safe for babies in buggies, lots of cafe’s, bars and chiringuito’s where you can relax and watch the world go by.
The first sighting of Antequera in the distance is that of a typical medieval town. Its historic centre is made up of more than 50 monuments and buildings dating as far back as the Bronze Age.
- Lobo Park – Nature, adventure, expeditions, and four big wolf pens is what you’re going to find in Lobo Park; a unique theme park sitting 8km away from downtown Antequera, in the heart of Andalusia. There are guided tours and horse riding lessons available, too. There’s also a school farm in Lobo Park, where children can learn how to take care of friendlier animals: Vietnamese pot-bellied pigs, Iberian pigs, ducks, geese, peacocks, goats, hens, foxes, sheep and many more. There is a café with a terrace boasting fantastic views.
Estepona is one of the coastal towns that has succeeded in maintaining its pueblo charm and character. All the tourist facilities are here, including hotels, restaurants, leisure and cultural activities, and shops. The numerous street cafes and tapas bars still serve traditional Spanish delicacies. In the ‘old town’ the steep, narrow streets are pedestrianised and decorated with different colour flower pots.
- Selwo Aventura Safari Park – The Selwo Aventura safari park is like a slice of Africa in the Costa del Sol with lions and elephants. The 100-hectare safari park is home to 2,000 animals from all corners of the world. Big cats, rhinos, hippos, jaguars and loads of other wonderful animals, reptiles and birds. Top attractions include the Route of the Valley, a rugged gorge roamed by bison, tiger and camels. Then there’s the Canyon of the Birds and Reserve of the Lakes, where you can be wow-ed by bird demonstrations featuring free-flying eagles and condors. For extra thrills, you can walk hanging bridges, try some archery, ride a dromedary and even zoom down a zip wire.
- Selwo Marina – At the Selwo Marina you’ll be entertained by sea lions, penguins, parrots. There are additional interactive experiences available such as swimming with sea-lions and interaction with dolphins – a unforgettable opportunity to get up close to these intelligent and entertaining animals.
- Kidz Kingdom – This indoor playground houses a huge three storey high soft play area, a separate toddler area for the younger members and seating for parents, a licensed bar, and extensive menu, free WIFI and free parking.
If you´re planning a holiday to the Costa del Sol, save the headache of transporting heavy baby gear by hiring it all instead! Travelling Babee have a wide range of baby and children´s equipment ready to hire.